Welcome to the Forum

Join in-depth discussions of SFI news, products, programs, and more with your fellow SFI affiliates. Brainstorm and share tips and ideas. Start new threads. Get your questions answered 24/7, become a Forum Guru, and more!

Net neutrality is ending and is affectin published sites

Posted 5 months ago More by Jan G.

If you publish your own web site(s), the ending of net neutrality is already affecting your site(s) hits. In the latter week, my published sites no longer instantly loads; shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed … ... I personally do not blame everything on the ending of 'net neutrality' some is to be blamed on 'internet service provider' [b]‘Net neutrality’ is ending. Here’s how your internet use could change[/b] [quote]NEW YORK (AP) — Your ability to watch and use your favorite apps and services could start to change — though not right away — following the official demise Monday of Obama-era internet protections. Any changes are likely to happen slowly, as companies assess how much consumers will tolerate. With net neutrality rules gone, AT&T and Verizon can give priority to their own movies and TV shows, while hurting rivals such as Amazon, YouTube and startups yet to be born. The repeal of “net neutrality” took effect six months after the Federal Communications Commission voted to undo the rules, which had barred broadband and cellphone companies from favoring their own services and discriminating against rivals such as Netflix.[/quote] Read more: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/net-neutrality-is-ending-heres-how-your-internet-use-could-change Jan Green Network Majic Queen
If you publish your own web site(s), the ending of net neutrality is already affecting your site(s) hits.

In the latter week, my published sites no longer instantly loads; shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed …
... I personally do not blame everything on the ending of 'net neutrality' some is to be blamed on 'internet service provider'

‘Net neutrality’ is ending. Here’s how your internet use could change

NEW YORK (AP) — Your ability to watch and use your favorite apps and services could start to change — though not right away — following the official demise Monday of Obama-era internet protections.
Any changes are likely to happen slowly, as companies assess how much consumers will tolerate.

With net neutrality rules gone, AT&T and Verizon can give priority to their own movies and TV shows, while hurting rivals such as Amazon, YouTube and startups yet to be born.
The repeal of “net neutrality” took effect six months after the Federal Communications Commission voted to undo the rules, which had barred broadband and cellphone companies from favoring their own services and discriminating against rivals such as Netflix.

Read more: www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/net-neutrality-is-ending-heres-how-your-internet-use-could-change

Jan Green
Network Majic Queen
7x SUPPORT
Jan G.

United States

Posted 5 months ago

Jan, Thank you for putting me in the know! I'm not sure how this will affect the sites I use; time will tell. It's good to be told about these kind of things so that we won't be surprised, and so we can think things through as we make our future business plans. I wonder if this will affect SFI in any way. SFI doesn't fall under the description of some of the sites you mentioned (entertainment sites), but that doesn't mean that changes are not ahead. Thanks for the "head's up," Johnna Ingram
Jan,
Thank you for putting me in the know! I'm not sure how this will affect the sites I use; time will tell. It's good to be told about these kind of things so that we won't be surprised, and so we can think things through as we make our future business plans.
I wonder if this will affect SFI in any way. SFI doesn't fall under the description of some of the sites you mentioned (entertainment sites), but that doesn't mean that changes are not ahead.
Thanks for the "head's up,"
Johnna Ingram
6x SUPPORT
Johnna I.

United States

Posted 5 months ago, edited 5 months ago More by Leon M. 1 Reply

Put a lot of focus on keeping your web properties lean and fast! Two free-to-use sites I recommend to assist in this process are: [url=http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/]Google's PageSpeed Insights[/url] [url=https://gtmetrix.com/]GTmetrix[/url] For example, be very selective about the graphics you use! Also, make sure your web host is as close to the internet backbone as possible. If a web host wants to stay competitive they'll get you the fastest access. Any host that slows you down in favor of another site should be dumped immediately! We can't control the end users ISP experience and that's a challenge. However, if we keep our sites lean and fast we're doing as much as we can on our end. Leon McKee
Put a lot of focus on keeping your web properties lean and fast! Two free-to-use sites I recommend to assist in this process are:

Google's PageSpeed Insights

GTmetrix

For example, be very selective about the graphics you use!

Also, make sure your web host is as close to the internet backbone as possible. If a web host wants to stay competitive they'll get you the fastest access. Any host that slows you down in favor of another site should be dumped immediately!

We can't control the end users ISP experience and that's a challenge. However, if we keep our sites lean and fast we're doing as much as we can on our end.

Leon McKee
57x SUPPORT
Leon M.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track
Guru Rank: #14

Posted 5 months ago

"In the latter week, my published sites no longer instantly loads; shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed …" That has nothing to do with net neutrality. Sounds like your hosting is the issue and you have possibly been hacked. I would contact your web host and see if they can provide some assistance. Hope this helps.
"In the latter week, my published sites no longer instantly loads; shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed …"

That has nothing to do with net neutrality. Sounds like your hosting is the issue and you have possibly been hacked. I would contact your web host and see if they can provide some assistance.

Hope this helps.

Posted 5 months ago More by Leon M.

[quote=1443051]shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed …[/quote] Michael makes a good point! You need to determine what is redirecting your URL. That's not good! Leon McKee
Jan G. posted:
shows in BING search engine; however is re-directed …

Michael makes a good point! You need to determine what is redirecting your URL. That's not good!

Leon McKee
57x SUPPORT
Leon M.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track
Guru Rank: #14

Posted 5 months ago 1 Reply

What is net neutrality? The title had "net neutrality" in it and none of the respondents have defined it either. How is someone supposed to respond to something that isn't explained. There was a reference to it but l didn't get it.
What is net neutrality? The title had "net neutrality" in it and none of the respondents have defined it either. How is someone supposed to respond to something that isn't explained. There was a reference to it but l didn't get it.
5x SUPPORT
Stephen B.

United States

E365 Champion

Posted 5 months ago

I've been a political buff for a few years and I've been following this since the debate started a few months ago. Yes, it could possibly alter some things. However the 'net neutrality' law was only originally signed into affect about two or three years ago and has had very little to no impact since then. It 'may' impact some reprobate businesses that will try to take advantage of being able to charge more for the speed they offer, however then it will be just like every other enterprise in America...based on a free trade system and if they charge too much to too many people the people can just go elsewhere. No other industry has such controls whether food service, retail, or in fact any others. It may actually lessen the price of internet by forcing them to compete rather than having to charge the same amounts to everyone regardless of the benefits to the business. Just my personal thoughts on the matter but I'll keep checking into it as each part of the story unfolds, so far there is too little information.
I've been a political buff for a few years and I've been following this since the debate started a few months ago.
Yes, it could possibly alter some things. However the 'net neutrality' law was only originally signed into affect about two or three years ago and has had very little to no impact since then.
It 'may' impact some reprobate businesses that will try to take advantage of being able to charge more for the speed they offer, however then it will be just like every other enterprise in America...based on a free trade system and if they charge too much to too many people the people can just go elsewhere.
No other industry has such controls whether food service, retail, or in fact any others. It may actually lessen the price of internet by forcing them to compete rather than having to charge the same amounts to everyone regardless of the benefits to the business.
Just my personal thoughts on the matter but I'll keep checking into it as each part of the story unfolds, so far there is too little information.
James O.

United States

Posted 5 months ago

[quote=1443207]What is net neutrality? The title had "net neutrality" in it and none of the respondents have defined it either. How is someone supposed to respond to something that isn't explained. There was a reference to it but l didn't get it. [/quote] Hi Stephen, Here is an answer to your question. Net Neutrality means that Internet service providers may not discriminate between different kinds of content and applications online. It guarantees a level playing field for all Web sites and Internet technologies. On December 21, 2010, the F.C.C. approved a compromise that would broadly create two classes of Internet access, one for fixed-line providers and the other for the wireless Net. Sources: NY Times - http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/time... Net Neutrality 101 - http://www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-101 Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality All the best with your business! Wheels up! Ron Pate
Stephen B. posted:

Hi Stephen,

Here is an answer to your question.

Net Neutrality means that Internet service providers may not discriminate between different kinds of content and applications online. It guarantees a level playing field for all Web sites and Internet technologies.
On December 21, 2010, the F.C.C. approved a compromise that would broadly create two classes of Internet access, one for fixed-line providers and the other for the wireless Net.
Sources:
NY Times - topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/time...
Net Neutrality 101 - www.savetheinternet.com/net-neutrality-101
Wikipedia - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

All the best with your business!

Wheels up!
Ron Pate
4x SUPPORT
Ronald P.

Philippines

E365 Country Champion

Posted 5 months ago More by Jan G.

[quote=1443080]Put a lot of focus on keeping your web properties lean and fast! Two free-to-use sites I recommend to assist in this process are: [url=http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/]Google's PageSpeed Insights[/url] [url=https://gtmetrix.com/]GTmetrix[/url] For example, be very selective about the graphics you use! Also, make sure your web host is as close to the internet backbone as possible. If a web host wants to stay competitive they'll get you the fastest access. Any host that slows you down in favor of another site should be dumped immediately! We can't control the end users ISP experience and that's a challenge. However, if we keep our sites lean and fast we're doing as much as we can on our end. Leon McKee[/quote] Thanks Leon; Radio broadcasting license is in my near future, I have been publishing my own web sites since 2005. ... just sharing this posts for those who have been publishing his/her own web site(s) ... am not sure how this affects affiliate 'hosted' sites
Leon M. posted:
Put a lot of focus on keeping your web properties lean and fast! Two free-to-use sites I recommend to assist in this process are:

Google's PageSpeed Insights

GTmetrix

For example, be very selective about the graphics you use!

Also, make sure your web host is as close to the internet backbone as possible. If a web host wants to stay competitive they'll get you the fastest access. Any host that slows you down in favor of another site should be dumped immediately!

We can't control the end users ISP experience and that's a challenge. However, if we keep our sites lean and fast we're doing as much as we can on our end.

Leon McKee

Thanks Leon;

Radio broadcasting license is in my near future, I have been publishing my own web sites since 2005.

... just sharing this posts for those who have been publishing his/her own web site(s)
... am not sure how this affects affiliate 'hosted' sites

7x SUPPORT
Jan G.

United States

Posted 5 months ago

As others said, this is not a net nutrality issue. It could be either that you changed something in your htaccess file, there might problem with DNS or it could be your hosting issue. First, contact your hosting provider. If it is hosting issue, then switch your hosting and get a better one, like Cloudways hosting, where you can host your PHP based websites on managed servers in one click.
As others said, this is not a net nutrality issue. It could be either that you changed something in your htaccess file, there might problem with DNS or it could be your hosting issue. First, contact your hosting provider. If it is hosting issue, then switch your hosting and get a better one, like Cloudways hosting, where you can host your PHP based websites on managed servers in one click.
oliver r.

Australia

| Edit settings