Welcome to the Forum

Join in-depth discussions of SFI news, products, programs, and more with your fellow SFI affiliates. Brainstorm and share tips and ideas. Start new threads. Get your questions answered 24/7, become a Forum Guru, and more!

A Friendly Warning To All Safelist Users

Posted 2 months ago

Hi Every-one, I am posting a thread I read on another Forum, I am a member of. I realise that a lot of Affiliates use Safelists as part of their Marketing Strategies. If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed. DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasise the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date). It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective. The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to. Another point to mention about this scam is that their "tech support" may be either planting a virus or scanning your browser history to locate your financial information. One of the major tip offs to this is how fast their "scanner" does its scan. I have seen some really fast scanners, but nothing like theirs. Plus, if you look carefully, it does even have your disk files on it. As a funny note, I saw some videos on youtube where hackers destroyed the "tech support" computers with viruses or even removing all of their OS files. You should have heard the reactions when the scammers finally figured out what had happened. To Your Success! Pete
Hi Every-one,

I am posting a thread I read on another Forum, I am a member of. I realise that a lot of Affiliates use Safelists as part of their Marketing Strategies.

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasise the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.
The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

Another point to mention about this scam is that their "tech support" may be either planting a virus or scanning your browser history to locate your financial information. One of the major tip offs to this is how fast their "scanner" does its scan. I have seen some really fast scanners, but nothing like theirs. Plus, if you look carefully, it does even have your disk files on it.

As a funny note, I saw some videos on youtube where hackers destroyed the "tech support" computers with viruses or even removing all of their OS files. You should have heard the reactions when the scammers finally figured out what had happened.

To Your Success!
Pete
SUPPORT
Peter P.

United Kingdom

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

[quote=1495225]Hi Every-one, I am posting a thread I read on another Forum, I am a member of. I realise that a lot of Affiliates use Safelists as part of their Marketing Strategies. If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed. DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasise the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date). It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective. The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to. Another point to mention about this scam is that their "tech support" may be either planting a virus or scanning your browser history to locate your financial information. One of the major tip offs to this is how fast their "scanner" does its scan. I have seen some really fast scanners, but nothing like theirs. Plus, if you look carefully, it does even have your disk files on it. As a funny note, I saw some videos on youtube where hackers destroyed the "tech support" computers with viruses or even removing all of their OS files. You should have heard the reactions when the scammers finally figured out what had happened. To Your Success! Pete[/quote] Hi Pete, Thanks for your warning for these "malware". regards
Peter P. posted:
Hi Every-one,

I am posting a thread I read on another Forum, I am a member of. I realise that a lot of Affiliates use Safelists as part of their Marketing Strategies.

If you use safelists, I am posting this for you. There is a scam that is online where you (the intended victim) suddenly find yourself looking at an official looking webpage (It could look like it came from Microsoft or your Internet Provider) with a loud and repeating warning that your system has been infected with some sort of virus. Furthermore, it instructs you to call a number to have it removed.

DON'T CALL THAT NUMBER AND DON'T PANIC! It's all a scam! To clear the page and the annoying alarm hit the ESC key. To be on the safe side, You can log off and run your virus scanner just to make sure! (I can't emphasise the importance of keeping your virus scanners up to date).

It is important to remember that these pages are set up to get you to panic. To the uninformed, they are very effective.
The reason I post this is to warn everyone of these pages and what NOT to do. I ran across one a few days ago and then again two days ago when I was working through some ads in one of the safelists I belong to.

Another point to mention about this scam is that their "tech support" may be either planting a virus or scanning your browser history to locate your financial information. One of the major tip offs to this is how fast their "scanner" does its scan. I have seen some really fast scanners, but nothing like theirs. Plus, if you look carefully, it does even have your disk files on it.

As a funny note, I saw some videos on youtube where hackers destroyed the "tech support" computers with viruses or even removing all of their OS files. You should have heard the reactions when the scammers finally figured out what had happened.

To Your Success!
Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your warning for these "malware".

regards
49x SUPPORT
Manuel V.

Portugal

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

Hi, If you use windows 10, then you are safe. Because Windows 10 has inbuilt virus protections. What you are to do every day after the start you run for Cleaning of Temp file, %temp% file, recent file, tree file. You will be safe. I hope it will help you. Thanks. Muhammad Luqman
Hi,
If you use windows 10, then you are safe. Because Windows 10
has inbuilt virus protections. What you are to do every day after the
start you run for Cleaning of Temp file, %temp% file, recent file, tree file.
You will be safe. I hope it will help you.
Thanks.

Muhammad Luqman
4x SUPPORT
Muhammad L.

Bangladesh

E365 Champion

Posted 2 months ago

Actually you dont even have to use a safelist to get those types of messages. I received the message without using safelist. I barely use safelists. What everyone needs to do is dont click anything within that message or call the number. You will be fine if you just shut down your computer, then restart it.
Actually you dont even have to use a safelist to get those types of messages.
I received the message without using safelist. I barely use safelists. What everyone
needs to do is dont click anything within that message or call the number. You will
be fine if you just shut down your computer, then restart it.
5x SUPPORT
Julius J.

United States

E365 Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

I work in IT and this happens more than you would think. Between random alerts popping up that look semi legitimate and the phone calls from people wanting to remote into your pc and "fix" (insert issue here).
I work in IT and this happens more than you would think. Between random alerts popping up that look semi legitimate and the phone calls from people wanting to remote into your pc and "fix" (insert issue here).
SUPPORT
Sylvia W.

United States

Posted 2 months ago 1 Reply

Thank you, Pete. I agree with Julius. I do not use Safelists, but have been exposed this sort of scam through other sites, even my email. Interestingly, I recently received an email that looked like it was an authentic email from PayPal stating a transaction was occurring on my account for a specific amount of money with a photo of an expensive watch. The email stated "If you did not initiate this transaction click the button below." Reading through the entire email, at the bottom was a notice in small print to call PayPal with any concerns you may have with no number listed. I put the email into my Junk List and checked the sender's email, it was NOT from a PayPal account. Again, it was another scammer, attempting their lies and trying to incite panic in a person so they will click on the available button in the email, which allows them access to your computer files. It's little pieces we need to be aware of, in the PayPal case it was the fact that there was no number listed for contact with PayPal that caused me to truly question the email, along with the fact, I do NOT have a PayPal account. So, as others have already suggested, do NOT panic, read messages in their entire and NEVER follow instructions without first doing your research. Sincerely, Anna D.
Thank you, Pete.

I agree with Julius. I do not use Safelists, but have been exposed this sort of scam through other sites, even my email.

Interestingly, I recently received an email that looked like it was an authentic email from PayPal stating a transaction was occurring on my account for a specific amount of money with a photo of an expensive watch. The email stated "If you did not initiate this transaction click the button below." Reading through the entire email, at the bottom was a notice in small print to call PayPal with any concerns you may have with no number listed. I put the email into my Junk List and checked the sender's email, it was NOT from a PayPal account.

Again, it was another scammer, attempting their lies and trying to incite panic in a person so they will click on the available button in the email, which allows them access to your computer files. It's little pieces we need to be aware of, in the PayPal case it was the fact that there was no number listed for contact with PayPal that caused me to truly question the email, along with the fact, I do NOT have a PayPal account.

So, as others have already suggested, do NOT panic, read messages in their entire and NEVER follow instructions without first doing your research.

Sincerely,
Anna D.
SUPPORT
Anna D.

United States

E365 Country Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

This happened to my daughter when her husband didn’t realize it and it created quite a mess. Thank you for reminding us to be careful!
This happened to my daughter when her husband didn’t realize it and it created quite a mess. Thank you for reminding us to be careful!
SUPPORT
Teresa S.

United States

Posted 2 months ago

Thank you. Responding to all of the posts here. Actually - it is NOT true that Windows 10 is protected. I have it and was still confronted. And it was not safelists that showed the warning. It was surfing through my various traffic exchanges that produced the "security" message supposedly from Microsoft. I, one who has been involved with the internet for more than a decade, bit and fell victim. Thankfully it was not too painful. I did not purchase the "bug remover" nor did I continue to engage when they mentioned money. They indeed did a scan of my computer in front of my very eyes. I discontinued engagement, turned my computer off and did a virus scan. They had indeed planted a bug on my computer but I was able to remove it. I also called Microsoft to report them. I feel utterly foolish that I gave in to their ploy. I am now also being bombarded with the "understanding" that WordPress opens up the door for a lot of spam to come through the websites I own with them and am being bugged to pay to remove the bugs. Am researching what I can do myself to create firewalls for my sites. If anyone has any advice on that, I would truly appreciate it. I figure if they can do it, so can I ... create a firewall. Iya
Thank you. Responding to all of the posts here. Actually - it is NOT true that Windows 10 is protected. I have it and was still confronted. And it was not safelists that showed the warning. It was surfing through my various traffic exchanges that produced the "security" message supposedly from Microsoft.

I, one who has been involved with the internet for more than a decade, bit and fell victim. Thankfully it was not too painful. I did not purchase the "bug remover" nor did I continue to engage when they mentioned money. They indeed did a scan of my computer in front of my very eyes. I discontinued engagement, turned my computer off and did a virus scan. They had indeed planted a bug on my computer but I was able to remove it. I also called Microsoft to report them.

I feel utterly foolish that I gave in to their ploy. I am now also being bombarded with the "understanding" that WordPress opens up the door for a lot of spam to come through the websites I own with them and am being bugged to pay to remove the bugs. Am researching what I can do myself to create firewalls for my sites. If anyone has any advice on that, I would truly appreciate it. I figure if they can do it, so can I ... create a firewall.

Iya
Iya'falola H. O.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

One more thing you should do to protect yourself from this kind of attack is to only visit financial sites (PayPal, SFI, bill paying or other) from your bookmarks, NOT from an email.
One more thing you should do to protect yourself from this kind of attack is to only visit financial sites (PayPal, SFI, bill paying or other) from your bookmarks, NOT from an email.
5x SUPPORT
Bruce D.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 2 months ago

Hi Peter, Thanks for sharing this useful informatio/alert. Let's share such information with fellow Affiliates. Regards
Hi Peter,

Thanks for sharing this useful informatio/alert.

Let's share such information with fellow Affiliates.

Regards
SUPPORT
Keshav S.

India

Posted 2 months ago

I am a tech by day as well and just had a client call this morning. This type of scam hits win10 systems equally as much as any others regardless of what AV a person has on their system. There are steps you can do to reduce being hit by one of these, but it simply pays to be wary and not believe every message that pops up on your screen. There is usually something "off" about the message. Misspellings, poor grammar somewhere in the message, perhaps rogue claims such as one my son got a few years ago claiming his Drive D: was badly infected. The problem??? He had no drive D: on his system! That was a dead giveaway for him and he came out laughing over it. I've been removing threats like this off people's systems for well over 15 years now. Some of them are nothing more than temp files in your browser's cache, others are temp files in your windows temp folders, and still others replace your desktop background to ensure the jpg image of the warning message stays on your screen. Smitfraud was the big one in this space years ago and now most AV and anti-spyware programs scan for it's various iterations. A client I recently handed off to the client's nephew in the PC repair space, regularly falls for these scams without fail! Last year it meant a complete factory reset of his system which did NOT go well! Now his nephew has the "joy" of continually telling his uncle to please stop calling the number on the screen! Ugh. . .
I am a tech by day as well and just had a client call this morning. This type of scam hits win10 systems equally as much as any others regardless of what AV a person has on their system. There are steps you can do to reduce being hit by one of these, but it simply pays to be wary and not believe every message that pops up on your screen. There is usually something "off" about the message. Misspellings, poor grammar somewhere in the message, perhaps rogue claims such as one my son got a few years ago claiming his Drive D: was badly infected. The problem??? He had no drive D: on his system! That was a dead giveaway for him and he came out laughing over it. I've been removing threats like this off people's systems for well over 15 years now. Some of them are nothing more than temp files in your browser's cache, others are temp files in your windows temp folders, and still others replace your desktop background to ensure the jpg image of the warning message stays on your screen. Smitfraud was the big one in this space years ago and now most AV and anti-spyware programs scan for it's various iterations. A client I recently handed off to the client's nephew in the PC repair space, regularly falls for these scams without fail! Last year it meant a complete factory reset of his system which did NOT go well! Now his nephew has the "joy" of continually telling his uncle to please stop calling the number on the screen! Ugh. . .
7x SUPPORT
Marilynn D.

Canada

Posted 2 months ago

Bruce,thank you so much for your advice and information.
Bruce,thank you so much for your advice and information.
9x SUPPORT
Zeljko S.

Bosnia And Herzegovina

| Edit settings